Friday, January 4, 2013

Healthy Living - First Thoughts on Juicing

Ok, so I got the juicer and I am super excited {can you tell?}!

I cannot say that after making 3 juices that I feel like 1000 bucks or anything, but I know I am providing my body with extra vitamins and nutrients that I would not ordinarily have in my diet. I mean, kale - who just eats kale? Not this girl. I do eat a lot of veggies, but it can be rather sporadic. This is a way to incorporate extra veggies in my diet {and my family's diet once they get used to the juices or I find a recipe they love} that doesn't depend on my mood or what "sounds good" for dinner.

One thing I am noticing is the amount of "waste" that is put off when juicing. It is a lot. So this has me thinking about reusing these pulps and skins in soups and such. That will mean a little more prep time and strategically juicing in a specific order {I don't really want apple peels in my veggie soup}, but I think it will be worth the effort.

I also think we will start composting. This would be an excellent source of nutrients for our garden!

Speaking of gardening...I cannot wait for spring to arrive {I know, it is only January} so that I can start planting veggies in our own garden that we can juice. No more wasted tomatoes!!!! We will juice {and can} all the extras {Lord willing}! I think we will grow a lot more dark green and leafy veggies {kale, spinach, broccoli}. I think we may also plant a small herb garden to add even more flavor to our juices!

I told you I was excited!!

Here are the recipes I have tried thus far:



Green Drink

3 stalks kale
2 handfuls of spinach leaves
3 carrots {leaves removed}
1 apple

Add all veggies and fruit to juicer and enjoy!


Orange Dreamsicle

4 oranges, peeled
2 carrots
1 banana

Juice the oranges and carrots. Then whip the juice and bananas in a blender for a creamy smoothie. Add a few ice cubes if you like to cool it down.

I cannot wait to try something else!

Do you have a juicer? What are your favorite recipes? I'd love to try them out!







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers so if you are thinking something that is beneficial and profitable (which does not mean you have to agree with me, but at least be nice), then I would love to hear from you!